Friday, February 19, 2010

"Why Start a Fast Track Blog?" or "How Bored are You?"

If you're like me, training with Fast Track / Dick Pond is much more than simply running with a group of other runners. It is that, but there's also a certain social bond--one that I'd almost label as camaraderie--that often develops between us runners. We don't just run: we talk about running, we eat breakfast together after running, we drink beer together after running--sometimes we even get married after running. To be sure, we are still just a running group/team/what-have-you, but the social aspect of this running group is undeniable, and that is the impetus for starting this blog.

My two main topics for this blog will be race recaps and training ideas. As a kid, I used to love reading my name in the newspaper after my travel soccer games. It was usually something along the lines of "So-and-so and What's-his-name scored for the Aces ... Matt T. played solid defense," but seeing your name in the paper when you're 10 years old makes you feel like Michael Jordan. This blog will never be the Daily Herald, but it's always fun to see your name somewhere, and I'll try to highlight all the people who participate in our races, whether you run a 30-minute 10K or a 90-minute 10K. That said, I'll probably need a little bit of help with this, as I'll probably miss a race here and there. Guest/co-authors will certainly be welcome on this site, which leads to my next topic...

I want this to be a social place. If you don't already have a Google account, sign up for one. It only takes a couple of seconds, and it will let you post comments on this blog. I mentioned that I want to share training ideas here, and if you're like me (that's twice!) you're always searching for a new element to add to your training. I'm admittedly not an expert on running (I just started during the Summer of '08 as soon as I was done with college soccer), and while I do read quite a bit about it, I'd love to hear training ideas from the rest of you.

So that's about it. I'll try to write newspaper-style articles about each race, and I hope to have some engaging discussions on here. After all, it's not very fun typing to myself.

Happy training!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea Matt. I was actually thinking of somethink like this as way for us to share not only training tips, but also recommendations on
    doctors, therapists and inury prevention.

    ReplyDelete